Started Nov 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
T B Gray
Senior MemberPosts: 1,719
Like?
Panasonic G2 infrared
Nov 9, 2011

I've had several cameras converted in infrared (by http://www.maxmax.com ) over the years - including a Canon xti and 7d. Now that I've basically totally switched from Canon to Panasonic I had a G2 converted, and here are some observations.

I'd read about some lenses exhibiting a "hot" spot in the IR spectrum and I found this very noticeable in the 14-140. It doesn't seem to be actually hot in terms of lulminosity, but there is a distinct tonal variation that disappears when converted to BW that makes a false color IR difficult with that lens. The kit 14-45 is fine. Since one of the consequences of the IR conversion is that the dust removal is removed since it's attached to the IR filter that's removed and replaced with an IR only filter, so I expect the 14-45 will simply stay attached to the camera.

My sense is that focusing, based what Panasonic uses (contrast detection?) is more accurate for IR than a traditional DSLR (phase detection?). And definitely with the live histogram exposure is significantly better.

The "hot spot" was still there at the wider end of the 100-300 but barely there at the longer end. Not particularly noticable on the 7-14, but AF didn't lock 99% of the time so that lens (as well as the Oly 12mm) are regulated to manual focus.

GH2 High Park Toronto

7D "false color" Frogner Park Oslo Norway

Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow