ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
a_reality
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Thinking about a Nex-5n - thoughts with Leica Lenses
Nov 9, 2011

Hello All

I've been doing a lot of research lately about the Sony NEX-5N and before making the final decision I thought I'd solicit some opinions and thoughts from the folks on these forums.

A little about me:

I'm mostly a film shooter. I'm no stranger to digital and I appreciate the creative potential the digital medium can provide, but up until now I've done 90% of my work on film. I do most of my studio work on medium format but I love street shooting with smaller cameras, which is why the NEX interests me quite a bit.

With the recent announcement that Kodak is discontinuing Plus-X film in all formats (my most beloved film by far) I'm thinking it's time for me to finally embrace digital fully as opposed to just fiddling around with it here and there like I've done up until now. I've done a lot of research on a good replacement for a street shooter and I'm hoping the NEX can fit the bill.

Despite it's somewhat odd looks, I've held the camera in my hand and I actually think it balances pretty well. I shoot two handed anyway, even with smaller cameras so the design works for me.

My question actually centers around people's experiences with using older manual lenses with the Sony NEX...specifically Leica lenses. Being an old film shooter I have a nice collection of Leica lenses. I can't justify at all spending the money on an M9 but I don't want to loose the joy of using those lovely M mount pieces of glass. My hope is that between the accessory eye level EVF and the "focus peaking" option I'll still be able to get some use out of them.

Does anyone out there have experience they can speak to in this regard? Do you find proper exposure becomes difficult when using old M mount lenses on a NEX? Is the focus peaking option really useful or is it just gimmicky?

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

• andrew

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow