Started Nov 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,898
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5. Wednesday thread, 2011.11.09
Nov 9, 2011

Another week went flying by. Now it is more like winter in Montana. Some of the ski areas have snow on the ground building base for the season. I have not heard of any areas planning on a Thanksgiving weekend opening but some are getting ready to open the first week of December. Weather people are forcasting a La Nina winter like last year. Moderate temperatures but lots of moisture in the form of snow. Yes!

Let's go back into the archives and look at some images which might be good candidates for a camera like the x-100. They do not need to be perfectly focused and sticky shutter leafs will not make much of a difference.

All three images are taken with the Fujifilm S3 Pro in bulb mode from the cab of a moving locomotive. The Nikkor 18mm-70mm lens is the likely optics with an f8 or so aperture. The posted images look a little less saturated than what was on the thumb drive I uploaded from. These are posted since I was inspired by the change back to Standard Time, now it is dark earlier in the evening.

The first image is taken from the side of the train of crossing signals in Spokane, Washington.The red lights are crossing warning signals and gate arms, the lower white lights are the headlights of automobiles waiting for our passage. The taller white lights are street lights for the roads. The speed of the train was under 25 mph.

This is the view out the front window of the locomotive on straight track. The red and green streamers are the signals authorizing my train's movements. The rails lay ahead of us below the signal lights. It would seem there may be some snow on the ground, the yellow lights are probably lights from residences along the track.

Hang on, this is a train going through curved tracks in a more congested area. There are more signals in green, yellow and red. The lights make more sense when viewed in real time mode but the capture on a single frame gives a new perspective.

In all cases the camera is held on part of the locomotive interior with a paper or cloth cushion. All of the vertical motion is due to the rough ride of the locomotive down the rails.

I wish I had done more of this while I had the chance. Immediate feedback from the digital cameras really made this experiment rewarding.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow