Started Nov 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Richard Briscoe
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: Olympus Corp in real trouble
In reply to Luc de Schepper, Nov 8, 2011

Luc de Schepper wrote:

Richard Briscoe wrote:

If Samsung does not acquire Olympus I do not know who else would be interested. Panasonic does not really need Olympus. This could be the end of the road for Olympus.

Panasonic needs Olympus to maintain a broad platform for MicroFourThirds. I quess at Panasonic they aren't happy with the latest developments. MicroFourThirds hasn't yet got the strong basis Panasonic needs for further growth. Nikon and Fuji might see chances for their (forthcoming) mirrorless line though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucdeschepper/

Who knows for sure? I just don't think the expense would be worthwhile for Panasonic. They sell sensors to Olympus. They prefer in lens the stabilization image stabilization over the Olympus in the body system. One suspects that they would pick up the sales that Olympus might have had without having to buy the Olympus camera division.

Although we have not heard about Canon's mirrorless plans and Nikon have not yet shown all of their suspected products in this market it looks as though they intend to go either side of ยต4/3rds rather than joining it. Fuji have said they have more products coming, but they have an established camera division and I doubt that they need what Olympus has to offer.

We shall see as this all unfolds.

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow