My first "Portrait"!!

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
CoolHandLu
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: My first "Portrait"!!
In reply to Brian Alpert, Nov 8, 2011

Brian,

Thanks so much for addressing this area - distance to subject! I think you were typing out that you usually are at least 8 feet away from your subjects? You missed the most important part of your sentence - the number of feet! But I think, based on your advise that I move back an additional 4 feet, that I can safely assume you meant to say 8 feet. And that would help both with the distortion while automatically increasing depth of field. And yes, I'd have to crop a bit - but as you say, that's perfectly acceptable.

Question - you mentioned adding a small fill card to the flash. Is that a reflective device that would sit ( in this case) to the side and a bit below the model? To toss up some light from below? I've heard a cheap and inexpensive product is those car windshield reflectors - I don't own a proper reflector yet, but if I continue to do portrait shoots I think it's likely a "must have".
Brian
--

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality
through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow