C300 vs SCARLET ....oh dear

Started Nov 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
PhilH
Contributing MemberPosts: 586
Like?
Remember......
In reply to john_bmth101, Nov 8, 2011

Canon and Red are both companies.

Canon has a large user base of consumers through professionals.

Red is trying to put their cameras into more hands and are still growing as a company.

Canon, and every other major manufacturer for that matter, will allows release incremental upgrades. Consumers will buy more gear in "baby steps" and the company profits.

Remember. 3 years ago Canon announced and showcased a 50 megapixel FF35 sensor. It is now 2011. It has not been used in a consumer device. Over a year ago they showed off a 4k HD camcorder. We have yet to see that.

There's difficulty raising the bar to things like raw video capture, 4k, higher FPS. The advantage Red has in this particular situation is that they invested in SSD, very fast boards, flexible software updates, and an upgrade path. These are more expensive than Compact Flash or anything else out there, but the advantage is you can indeed be closer to the bleeding edge of technology rather than be stuck in 1080p-ville. If this is what you do for a living, and in my case working in motion pictures, the choice was easy for me.

I'm a Canon shooter, CPS member, and working professional. I'll still be using their cameras. I like a lot about the C300. However, I am investing in a Red Scarlet X as it fits nicely in my career toolbox and the material will have lasting power beyond 2012.

-- hide signature --

Phil Holland - http://www.phfx.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow