Ola Forsslund
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
Re: I do not know....
In reply to bobn2, Nov 7, 2011

bobn2 wrote:

Bernie Ess wrote:

Well with the D2x they went from 6 (fake MP in the D1x) to 12

The D1x was actually a 10MP camera (all the D1's were 10MP cameras).

Correct.

Nikon went through various stratagems for binning and resampling to arrive at the different D1 variants using the same sensor.

Yes, two pixel counts, 10MP/4 for D1, D1h and 10MP/2 for D1x.

With the right raw converter, you can get 10MP from a D1H.

No. In the D1 and D1H the 4 pixels are binned in hardware.

If you mean the D1x, it has two pixels binned in hardware. The actual resolution of the RAW file is 4000 x 1300, or 5.3MP.

Some RAW-converters, such as Nikon Capture, interpolates these files to 4000x2600, or 10MP, instead of the original camera algorithm that interpolated to 3008 x 1960. But the vertical resolution really is not there.

It's well known 'rectangular' pixels were in fact two pixels covered by one colour filter.

Yes, and the reason to decrease resolution was the same as it is today: the problem with getting the data off the sensor. NOT processor speed, NOT manufactoring small pixels, but just getting the data off the chip. At 10MP, it would have been a 1 fps camera (thats no PJ cam)... Instead you had the 5 fps D1h, and 3 fps D1x.

Since at least Sony, and probably Aptina, have solved that now, we are in for a competely new game! Canon still has not!

While it seems a strange design solution to us now, it's best to remember that the D1's outsold the 1D variants by a considerable margin.

Well, Nikon had an 2 year head start... And during that time, they were alone.

It wasn't until the MkII's that Canon began to wipe the floor with Nikon in the pro PJ arena (and the high res studio landscape arena).

I think both the 1D and 1Ds were mighty impressive for the time. Nikon had nothing then, but the established market.

However, I suspect that is a lesson Nikon has learned. Never again will they underestimate the appetite for high pixel count and reach, but it seems that Canon will.

To me, it only seems like Nikon failure with the LBCAST technology won them the situation of today.

Ola Forsslund's gear list:Ola Forsslund's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow