My first "Portrait"!!

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
CoolHandLu
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: My first "Portrait"!!
In reply to Brian Alpert, Nov 7, 2011

You are right - she's a good friend and very relaxed in front of the camera. So the rapport part was great - we were cracking each other up the entire shoot.

And I did take good advantage of my off-white low ceiling - by bouncing the flash behind me and off the ceiling it really diffused the light and softened it up a ton.

You are also right re: OOF. Her hair is tack sharp, and her eyes are soft ! I figured opening up from 1.8 to 2.8 would help, but I just checked my handy Online DOF Calculator, and here's the bad news:
Subject distance 3.9 ft
Depth of field - Near limit 3.85 ft . . . . . . . Far limit 3.95 ft
Total 0.1 ft

Holy cow - that's a DOF of a measly 1.2 inches! Even opening up to 5.6 only gives me 2.4 inches, but at least that would have captured here eyes for sure in this shot. I guess I was concerned with keeping the background nice and OOF, but what I shoiuld have done is just move her a bit more away from the book case.

Lesson learned. Thanks for the feedback folks!
Brian
--

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality
through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow