I'm glad they used Resistivetouchscreen instead capacitive in G3

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,437Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm glad they used Resistivetouchscreen instead capacitive in G3
In reply to mano42, Nov 7, 2011

There are definitely situations where a resistive touchscreen makes more sense than capacitive.

Anything designed to be used in a range of temperature conditions, where you may need to wear gloves. Cameras, definitely.

GPS car navigation units. I hate that Tomtom's flagship model uses a capacitive touchscreen.

However, I hate resistive touchscreens in anything meant to be carried in a pocket. Pretty much every android smartphone sold by US carriers at the $0 to $1 price point has a resistive screen.

I like the technology that's in the touchscreen e-ink e-readers. They use an array of infrared LEDs and IR sensors around the perimeter of the screen, they read the position of your finger based on light cutoff. That technology is actually capable of multitouch. Downside it it's affected by foreign objects even more easily than resistive screens.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow