Started Nov 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sphen
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
60D vs 7D...give me a hand?
Nov 6, 2011

Don't flame! I'm not asking which to go with, there are countless such threads and reviews that I have already gone through. My question is a little different.

I picked up a 60D a few months ago and love it, I chose it over the 7D because of the video, articulating screen, and lets be honest, smaller price tag. However, I've done zero video with it. I've become enthralled with photo taking and now I just leave the video to my wife with the handycam HDR-SR11.

Now I'm not dissatisfied with my 60d. Actually, I love it. Going from the S2IS to the 60D is like going from my tercel to a camero. However, while cruising the adds I've found someone who is willing to trade me his 7D for my 60D. His reasoning, he's the opposite of me, bought the 7D thinking he wouldn't do much video but now he does more video than photography.

Now the catch (has to be a catch right? No one's going to do a straight up trade, 7D for 60D). My 60d still has 7 months warranty left on it while his is almost 2 years old, no warranty. The big catch, his mic port is damaged. He says the mic works fine, but the casing has been dented. Once when plugged in it got bumped and the mic plug dented in the plastic casing around the port. He's been using it since, says it still works fine but can feel a bit "loose" because of the dented frame that would normally keep it snug.

So, now you know what I'm asking, should I trade the camero for the corvette? What do you guys think? The shooting I do is mostly kids and events. My oldest is 7 and I can't wait to start shooting him playing sports etc... I'm not much for landscapes but do on occasion partake should something catch my eye. There are no other passionate photographers in my immediate family or friends so I've been getting called to do family events, more and more as my photos keep getting better.

As a reference point, if I sold the 60D and bought an undamaged unused 7D around here I'd be looking at spending about $300-400. I don't need any new lenses, although I was planning on picking up a 70-300 L I'm going to stick with my 17-55 and 24-105 for a while. I don't plan on going full frame, I'll be sticking with cropped for a long while.

I'm no pro, at best an enthusiastic amateur, I've joined a local club, schmoozed up a couple local photographers to start giving me tips. I've worked through a bunch of photography books as well as memorized the 60D manual so I'm no longer the newb I was 6 months ago. So will I be able to take advantage of the 7D's improvements? What's tempting me is the advanced AF system and more durable body, I love to ski, snowmobile, etc... and although the 60D has a good solid feel to it I'd have more confidence in the weather proofing and magnesium body of the 7D.

Anyway, any feedback is appreciated.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow