Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark kay
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,477
Like?
Panasonic 14-42mm X vs 14-140mm vs 14-45mm - my comparisons
Nov 6, 2011

I got a 14-42mm X yesterday and spent this am making some comparisons between the Pany 14-45 and 14-140mm lenses at 14,30, and 42mm. Here are the conclusions from my comparisons using the Panasonic GH2. I tested at F3.5, 5.0, 5.6, and 6.3.

1) First I will say I did not have any problems with the lens mis focusing. I shot some infinity and 5 to 6 feet images at the above mentioned focal distances.

2) At 14mm all three lenses were very close in terms of center sharpness, edges, and color and tones. The X lens was slightly less sharp but the differences were not great.

3) At 42mm and 30mm -- the 14-140 and 14-45mm were very close but the 14-42 X was disappointing and much less sharp throughout. I did not go through all the 30mm images but the X is still inferior.

BTW I tried to shoot with the IS off, mode 1, 2 and 3. No real difference.

Tradeoffs... The X lens is extremely light but i am a bit disappointed by the resolving power of this lens. The focus is not quite as fast as the other lens but acceptable and again I want to state from all the images-- I took many -- none were out of focus and very little image to image variation in terms of image sharpness. I need to look at the images more carefully for more subtle differences in distortion etc.
Mark
--
http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow