Started Nov 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EXDS
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
AF-S 300mm f4 Woes
Nov 5, 2011

I went and picked up my first used lens when I saw a decent deal for an AF-S 300mm f4 yesterday. I brought my D5100 when I met with the seller to try the lens out briefly. The focus motor in the lens made a strange noise (a bit like a screech) but then it went away and sounded more like a normal motor sound (albeit a bit louder than I would expect from a SWM).

Unfortunately, when I brought the lens home to try out again, the screeching sound came back and then went away again. But now the upper left diagonal and upper right diagonal focus points in the focus selector do not appear to work properly with the lens. It seems to hunt and never acquires focus. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I'm thinking about sending it in to Nikon but I think I could live with it if those two focus points are the only problem.

So far, the lens seems pretty nice otherwise. I kind of expected a bit more contrast but I haven't been able to test it out much in great light yet. I was also a bit surprised that I got some camera shake in my shots handheld at 1/800 shutter speed as I consider myself pretty steady. But I guess I just need more practice with it.

Here are a couple of shots taken from my back porch during testing with a tripod. I thought they turned out pretty well. Light processing done in LR.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow