ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lurker2525
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Equipment needed for flash photography?
Nov 4, 2011

Hi all,

at the moment, there are two threads I found very interesting about flash photography in this forum ongoing and I am wondering myself if I should get a flash (FL50R in my case).

I'd shoot mostly social events and portraits of friends and family. My question is: What is the minimum required equipment to shoot casual portraits indoors, is a flash and maybe a card or diffuser and some learning in how to bounce enough?

I am asking because whenever links are posted these seem to go to sites where people use multiple flashes and umbrellas and reflectors, so quite a lot of stuff.

I am thinking that my photography could benefit from using a flash, but I am still only a casual photographer and wouldn't want to spend tooo much money on the flash accessoirs and really only a couple of minutes at most for each shot for the setup. It should be ideally a case of changing a few setting on the camera and the flash and then shoot, not much more setup than a non-flashed photo.

So, my question is, what is needed in order to get good photos for indoor and outdoor portraits, ideally with a very minimalistic equipment - is a flash that I can bounce enough? What else would I need considering I don't want to spend much time on the setup and these are still "only" social shots of family and friends.

What I don't want to do is getting a flash, then finding out that with only one flash there are all sorts of shadows on the faces, and then finding out that I need to buy more stuff in order to get acceptable results etc. I am new to flash photography, so any "slow" explanations are especially welcome

Thanks all for your help!

Cheers,
Hector

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow