Started Nov 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LaszloBencze
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
A professional responds to the 1 DX
Nov 4, 2011

Like just about everyone on this forum, I've been eager to hear about the "next big thing" from Canon. The 1DX is certainly an interesting camera and does seem to incorporate some useful and productive features.

However, it's most important new features appear to be the high frame rate and the improved auto focus system. Personally, I never shoot anything other than one frame at a time. So high frame rate is meaningless to me. And, believe it or not, I don't use autofocus either. Every so often I turn it on and give it a try and every time it always focuses on the wrong thing. But I'm happy with manual focus so anything to do with auto focus leaves me out.

Improved low light capability does seem to be appealing but I use high ISO only on rare occasions. ISO 400 is my standard setting. I had a recent assignment in a silver mine underground. My 1200 ws Comet strobe bounced off the ceiling (which was a dark grey) just wasn't enough until I switched from 400 to 1600. But at 1600 I was getting f 4.0 which was all I needed to get the shots I wanted. The shots were great. So those ultra high ISO numbers that sound like science fiction to me would not be anything I'd use to make a buck. (Though they might be nice for fooling around experimentally.)

Also the 1DX is a heavy camera along the lines of the Mark III which I don't use much anymore because it is heavy. I'm very strong but walking around all day with a big lens and heavy camera hanging from my neck is a drag. (And no, I don't want to get one of those weird holsters or "baby carrier" rigs to hold it all. Around the neck is the only way that feels right to me.)

I'd much prefer an upgraded version of the 5D MKII. Just give it another slot for a back-up CF card and extend the dynamic range. A handy mirror lock up button would be great too.

So on the three main improvements my response is tepid at best. I'm sure it's a great camera though. If I had a strong need for any of these three main improvements, I'm sure I'd be temped. But given the way things are, I think I'll just wait to see if Canon comes out with some other version of body that does address issues that are more significant to me.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow