Started Nov 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,076Gear list
Like?
Show me how to use 24mm...
Nov 4, 2011

OK, I admit it. I'm just not a wide-angle kind of guy. I love my telephoto lenses, and I am used to zooming in to isolate a subject.

But I have wide angle lenses, and I ought to know how to use them. Help me out here!

The last couple of days, I went out (in the desert here in Phoenix) with extremes - 14-24 on a D700 and 300F4+1.4 TC on a D300. Using the 14-24 I realized how little I really knew how to use it.

Yesterday I went out 'all primes'. Took 24F2.8, 35F2, 50 F1.8, 105vr and 300 F4 and TC. (The 300 + TC, or 80-400, always goes with me in case of wildlife). D300 and D700.

When I got to some interesting not-telephoto subjects, I tended to grab the 35F2.

I'm not wanting to use a wide angle lens to squeeze a mountain into a frame. I want to use it to give a sense of depth.

How far away from your subject do you feel is a typical distance to work with for a 24mm? How far from the subject to a background, and what sort of background? Maybe I'm just not in the right environment for using a 24 to good advantage. Backgrounds are generally distant, so they shrink to nothing with a 24.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow