Started Nov 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
druckerjr
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
SOLVED: Canon 7D "will not communicate with battery"
Nov 3, 2011

I was able to fix the error message "cannot communicate with battery".

I have 3 different genuine canon batteries (one is only 2 months old) I Googled this problem and it seems that a lot of people have this same issue. One person said Canon charged them $220 to fix it but Canon would not explain what they did. Another person said that they had received the message after they were shooting in cold weather but the error went away several months later when they were shooting n really cold weather.

My camera started this message two weeks ago after I was taking some photos in the snow along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was cold at 6000 feet (but above freezing); however, at lower elevations it was in the upper 70s. I only had one battery with me I thought the battery went bad. When I got back from the trip I got the error on every battery. I've had the camera in below freezing situations in the past without any problems.

I think there is some type of design flaw that when the camera is subjected to an extreme temperature change something in the battery compartment is expanding or shrinking and preventing one of the pins that communicate with the chip on the battery that tells it is a genuine canon battery.

Here is how I fixed my Canon 7D. I remove the lens and put a cap on the body. I turned off the camera but left a battery in it. I put the camera in my freezer for 6 minutes. I then removed the camera and put a room temperature battery in the camera. I turned on the camera and no error! The camera saw the battery and displayed the battery life.

Sounds crazy but I have not had the problem since I put the camera in the freezer a week ago.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow