A77 HDR setting images

Started Nov 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 HDR setting images
In reply to Edward Sargent, Nov 3, 2011

I don't know why you say "regular" HDR does no tone mapping. If you mean by that Auto HDR. You get two images - the first the properly exposed single image and the the results of combining and tone mapping three images that it takes.

There is also DRO, which also tone maps.

If by "tone mapping" we mean what Wikipedia has as the definition:

"Tone mapping is a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map one set of colors to another in order to approximate the appearance of high dynamic range images in a medium that has a more limited dynamic range. Print-outs, CRT or LCD monitors, and projectors all have a limited dynamic range that is inadequate to reproduce the full range of light intensities present in natural scenes. Essentially, tone mapping addresses the problem of strong contrast reduction from the scene values (radiance) to the displayable range while preserving the image details and color appearance important to appreciate the original scene content."

Re bracketing, you can certainly bracket in jpg which should take the pictures as fast as Auto HDR and hence should be as hand-holdable as Auto HDR is. I haven't tried the raw, but if there is a buffer I dont' see why the three shots can't be taken as quickly as jpg.

Edward Sargent wrote:

harleydavidson wrote:

How does "HDR Painting" differ from the regular HDR in camera that takes 3 photos and combines them into one for output?
--

• HDR painting does, or appears to, tone map the result with one JPG output

• "Regular" HDR does no tone mapping and you get two JPGs. You also get to select the ev bracketing and how it varies the ev (shutter, aperture, ISO)

• Bracketing with RAW and processing HDR in software later is slower in taking the images so using handheld is iffy

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow