What happend to pixels per square cm?

Started Nov 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519Gear list
Like?
Re: What happend to pixels per square cm?
In reply to Robert Hoy, Nov 3, 2011

I personally found the pixel density a useful bit of information, but apparently I'm in the minority. I guess I can understand how it could be confusing, but they took the number away and didn't replace it with anything more useful on the high level summary page (the one that shows all the current camera models for a given manufacturer). Therefore, to see how two cameras' sensors stack up against each other, you have to go into the specifications page for each, drill down till you find the sensor size, and do the calculations to get the sensor area. To directly compare the values, you either have to write them down, or have two different DPReview windows open on your computer.

Wouldn't it make sense for DPR to calculate the sensor size in sq mm, and display it along with the other info that is currently available on the high level page for each camera (its model name, photo, the number of MP, screen size, zoom range, and link to get current price)? That way the reader could see the actual sensor sizes side by side, which would save them the trouble of having to compute them. The detailed dimensions would still be available in the spec sheet, if someone wanted to see them.

Just a thought
--
Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow