Leica X1 vs Fuji X100 and the winner is...

Started Nov 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,666Gear list
Like?
Leica X1 vs Fuji X100 and the winner is...
Nov 2, 2011

Both cameras are a work in progress

The X2 is gonna be awesome

The X200 is also gonna be awesome

To start, the Leica X1 is a svelte 10.9 ounces compared to the almost 1 pound DSLR weight 15.8 ounces of the X100. Size is also 30% larger. One cannot ignore that, they are in different categories. The X1 can be carried in a jacket pocket. The X100 will weigh down the jacket pocket.

The X1 focuses a little slower than the X100, but has about the smae speed as the loved Panasonic 20mm 1.7 of the m4/3 world. It does the job.

When the X1 focuses it tends to nail it tight. Personally I see the X1 nail a perfect focus about twice as often as the X100.

Oh yeah the X100 has the viewfinder which I don't use. And movies which I do with my iPhone.

Leica people spend a lot of time talking about a 3D dimensionality that apparently you get with a snob $ 9000 M9 and some $ 6000 lens. The $ 1995 X1 is compared favorably to the M9 and 24mm Leica lens, which is an incredible compliment. They say the X1 has the dimensionality. Some Leica people say the X100 pictures do not have the dimensionality and that the pictures look flat. I feel that half of the Leica comments are rationalizing spending $ 15k on a camera. But maybe the other half have something. Sometimes they compare the M9 and the X100 as Rolex vs Timex. But they never put the X1 down. Of course it has no lenses to change and f2.8. But they praise it.

These days with sticky blades not resolved three times and so on I am having fun with the X1. Used they go for $ 1300 to 1500. New 1995. They have not gone down a penny in two years. That german glass will keep its value.

Ultimately, practically, when all is said and done I feel a weight difference between 10.9 and 15.8. From afar the X1 is the same look as the Olympus XZ-1 or the Olympus PL3 with a pancake. The X100 is more like an M9 or an E-P3. In other words the X1 has travel cred. The X100 competes in weight with 1 pound DSLRs.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow