Do some people not realize the X10 is a point and shoot ??

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
My "boring" thread got your attention and seems quite popular....
In reply to HDaRt, Nov 1, 2011

Interesting....

Well, while I certainly don't mean to give an air of superiority, I would say that in all fairness, given this is my profession, and that I've also worked as an instructor and magazine and newspaper editor in my career that I may know more and have more experience in this field and this industry than many.

That said, I find it interesting that you suggest this is such a boring thread. Why ? Because its based in fact and reality and realistic expectations ?

Do you really find threads where someone is whining about how bad the camera is because their expectations are way off base more "fun" ??

That what you enjoy ? Lots of screaming and arm waving by neophytes with little to no conceptual knowledge to back it up ?? That a good time on the internet forums ??

Seems this boring thread has gotten lots of responses, and even you took the time away from having fun elsewhere to post here, so how boring can it really be ??

Mind you that I never suggested everyone like the X10, that its perfect for everyone etc. Its not. I think it really only is a good choice for a small number of actual people, but its great for what it is, just as countless other cameras are.

Nothing wrong with not liking something, as long as its because of what is is.

Complaining on an sports car forum about how disapointing you are your new Corvette has no ground clearance and get stuck in the mud when you tried to take it on a Jeep trail is just a plain waste of time.

No one has to like a Corvette, or suggest everyone drive one etc, but to complain about the Vette as being so poor at something it was never made to do....well...

HDaRt wrote:

Some cameras capture the attention of photographers who have an idealized version of their perfect camera. And though some of their expectations may be a step or two away from realization, they are based on their knowledge and photographic experience, limited or otherwise.

"All these complaints about noise levels, lack of resolution etc. Its a small sensor point and shoot, what do people expect ??"

They have stated what they expect and even if they aren't always in touch with the limitations of technology they are entitled to have an opinion. Calling them out like you are the professor on advanced camera tech class changes nothing but conveys a position of self proclaimed superiority. Frankly, that's worse, and boring.

millsart wrote:

Do some people not realize this is a point and shoot camera and think its going to replace their Leica, DSLR, X100, m4/3 gear etc ??

Its "bigger" 2/3 sensor is really only about 10% or so bigger than than of the LX5, G12 and all the other premium compact.

Thats not going to make a huge difference in performance, nor DoF. Its still a small sensor and isn't going to come close to even APS-C, nor should anyone expect it to.

All this camera is is a very cool retro styled point and shoot with some really nice ergonomic direct controls, good (for a p&s) image quality, and a pretty nice fast zoom and an OVF thats usable, but nothing better than sticking an external finder on a LX5 or other cameras, aside from that it zooms, which is cool.

Thats is, its not going to replace a Leica, or be a poor man's Leica, or even a poor man X100 or any other camera.

All its going to be is a fun little point and shoot that handles really well and can take pictures that are good for a point and shoot.

Not going to a low light machine, not going to be a pro wedding shooters camera, not going to produce fine art 20X30" prints etc.

Its going to do the same roles you'd carry a G12, LX5, P7000 etc for, but with a bit more style and a nice interface.

I think its awesome for what it is, I handled one, loved it and have mine on order, but lets just have some sense of perspective here folks.

Remember, its just a point and shoot, treat it like one and you'll be happy. Think its going to allow you to sell off all your other gear, have a better sensor than a NEX5n or K5 etc is just silly.

-- hide signature --

HDaRt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow