Started Nov 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike_2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,635Gear list
Like?
A77 + superzoom vs canon 5D + L lenses
Nov 1, 2011

Due to their weight and a growing preference for sony's offerings I have been steadily moving away from the canon gear that I own, a 5dmk1 and 1740L, 70-200F4 L IS. This is very good quality kit, but expensive, heavy and at the end of the day I have grown to realise that it is much more important to have a camera with you that you actually use rather than a really high quality heavy one that you leave at home.

I like the A77 so far, a lot, and I like the weight/flexibility/cost trade off offered by tamron's zooms and sony's value primes. I have the 35 mm f1.8 on order but two zooms arrived yesteday, the 18-270 PZD and 10-24. I already have the 1750 f2.8.

With these lenses I can finally perform a test I've wanted to do for some time; with the A77 and superzoom, how does it perform compared to a FF camera with top canon lenses?

The answer is, pretty darn well. I used a tripod viewing a building about 1.5km away, steady shot off and 2second timer for the sony, mirror lock up and 2 second timer for the canon, raw all the way, iso 100. Shots were taken both fully open and f/8 at matched focal lengths. Outputted from LR3 to 16MP equivalent 100% crops from both cameras (so 75% crop from sony 130% crop from canon).

Let's start with A77-18270 140 mm vs 5D-70200F4LIS 200 mm
Really very little difference, imo.

wide open

f/8

-- hide signature --

IQ is not judged exclusively by high iso noise performance

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow