Started Nov 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhilipY
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Windows 7 Device Stage is such a pain!
Nov 1, 2011

OK here's the scoop. In the past I've never had any problems connecting my Canon EOS 550D to my desktop computer (via a USB cable) running Windows 7 64-bit. An import pictures window would automatically open, prompting me to tag my new pictures and then transfer them.

One fine day (I'm guessing through a Windows update) Device Stage was installed into my computer. If you want the basics on Device Stage look here http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2009/01/08/device-stage-a-new-way-of-interacting-with-devices-in-windows-7.aspx Now for some strange reason or other the Import pictures window doesn't open any more when I connect my 550D. I have to go to Computer and I see my 550D there among the hard drives and DVD-ROM icons. I then have to right-click on it and click on Import pictures. This is such a damn pain. I went to Control Panel > Auto Play and yes, my 550D was listed there with 2 options: Open Device Stage or Take no action. I chose the former and saved it, still no luck. The Import pictures window still stubbornly refuses to open on its own when I connect my 550D.

Does anybody else have this annoying problem? Don't ask me to use a card reader because I prefer the USB route...instead of making things easier this damn Device Stage is doing the opposite. Any help would be appreciated.

PhilipY's gear list:PhilipY's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow