Another question for A77 owners

Started Oct 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Re: Another question for A77 owners
In reply to guyindasky, Oct 31, 2011

This is a tough question to answer. In fact, really, you're the only one who can decide what is a good value for your money... but since you asked, here are my thoughts:

I just bought an A77, switching over from years of owning Nikons. I owned a D90, which I thought was a fantastic camera. When the D7000 came out, I couldn't resist the temptation to upgrade. And I immediately regretted it. The D7000 is great, but I wasn't any happier with it than I'd been with my D90, and it didn't make my photography any better. I'd have been better off buying better glass rather than upgrading to a better body.

For the most part, the tech in camera bodies has gotten so good that reviews quibble about the tiniest of differences as if they're the be all and end all. But will any of those differences make a difference in the quality of photos you get out of your camera? Usually, the only person who would notice is the person who took the shot. Some of my friends are shooting with DSLRs they bought in 2005, and they're getting fantastic results. Absolutely fantastic. They spend their money on better glass.

For the first time in a long time, there's a single feature that is so good it's worth upgrading to a new body for: the A65/A77 viewfinder. I'm sure others will have different opinions, and really, it all depends on the kind of photography you do. I can only speak for myself, but... wow am I in love with the viewfinder in my A77.

The ability to see changes such as exposure compensation in the viewfinder... Optical viewfinders can't do that .Want to make sure you've nailed the focus? Zoom in to check focus IN THE VIEWFINDER. Love it! Want a level? You can have one in the viewfinder. How about a silly example: Want to shoot black & white? There's a "Creative Style" feature for that. Choose it and you'll see black & white through the viewfinder.

My favorite viewfinder option: 2 second image review. When I take a shot, in the viewfinder I immediately get a 2 second review of the shot I just took. Sure, I could just look at the rear LCD screen to review the shot, but then I'd have to pick the camera back up to my eye and recompose. I find it amazingly handy to get that quick review while I've still got the camera in place. If I was a little off, I can instantly adjust and shoot again. It's a faster way to shoot.

I can't say enough good things about the viewfinder in the A77. In my opinion, the viewfinder is the reason to get an A77 instead of another camera. It's the reason I switched to an A77, and I'm really glad I did.

Yeah, the A77 is a great camera with great specs and the controls are customizable and well laid out... but the viewfinder is the real story for this camera. I think these EVF viewfinders represent the greatest change in SLRs since the first digitals came along (I realize these are actually SLTs).

So, to directly answer your question: The A77 exceeds my expectations. It's not perfect. No camera is. But, for what I paid and what I got? It exceeds my expectations.

guyindasky wrote:

For those of you who made the leap and now own the A77, I would like to know if you feel the camera represents a good value for the money. $1400 is a serious chunk of change (well at least to me). Does the camera meet, exceed or not meet the expectations you had prior to owning it?

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow