Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Reasons for not liking the GX1
Oct 31, 2011

. . . I'm a m4/3 user who wants the rangefinder style body with built-in EVF and tilting screen that's available with the NEX7 and from now on, whenever there's a new m4/3 camera there's going to be a lot of disappointment from me and many others if it doesn't match what Sony has accomplished with the NEX7.

. . . Of course, the NEX7 has other issues like the E system lens lineup and apparent IQ problems with WA legacy lenses so it's not a practical replacement vs m4/3. Initial reports say that the AF speed isn't as good as the highend Pannys and new PEN's either so there are some tremendous advantages that m/43 has over NEX cameras but it's still stupid of Panny and Oly to continue ignoring the large segment of serious enthusiasts who want a full featured compact body that isn't deliberately styled to look like something that it isn't - a clunky DSLR.

. . . This new GX1 looks like an updated GF1 and not up to the current standard that Sony has set with the NEX7 body IMO. The pricing of the NEX7 vs the GX1 both with kit zooms is being speculated to be at about $1300+ for either one so I'm not in agreement with those who say that the GX1 isn't in competition with the NEX7. In comparison, the E-P3 with kit zoom is only $900 which is a considerable difference! I'd be willing to pay more for what I want but not for just another 'me too' PEN that lacks IBIS and which still doesn't have the built-in EVF that so many of us have been wanting for so long now.

. . . There is of course some speculation that there will eventually be both a GF7 and PEN Pro that will finally satisfy those of us who want a full featured compact body. If that's what's coming at some point in the not too distant future, I'm going to be locked-in to the m4/3 system for a long time.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow