Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeremyB2
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
SX40 concerns ....
Oct 31, 2011

I've had my SX40 for about 10 days and I'm not exactly overwhelmed with the results I'm getting. Some shots are very pleasing, but others leave me quite disappointed. I'm using the 'P' setting on the Mode Dial, auto white balance, evaluative focusing area, maximum resolution / fine setting, and everything else at default setting. I'm hoping that some of you expert folks on this forum can help to reassure me that it is my ineptitude rather than the camera that is causing the problems.

My previous camera - a Canon S2 IS - has served me faithfully since 2006 and I have taken well over 50,000 photos on it. So, although I don't pretend to be knowledgeable, I do have a fair amount of experience of what is achievable. I was expecting to see at least some small improvement in IQ with the SX40 compared to the S2 IS, if only because I assume that the sensor in an older camera probably starts to deteriorate a little bit with time. I've taken something in the region of 300 shots with the SX40 so far, and in the case of many of these I'm sure the S2 IS would have made a better job of it.

I have two main areas of concern. Firstly, I'm finding that too many of the photos are not as sharp as I would expect them to be, and secondly I'm seeing an unacceptable level of blown highlights in situations where I really wouldn't expect them to occur. The S2 IS would occasionally blow highlights if someone was wearing a very white T-shirt for example, but on the whole it handled skin quite acceptably. With the SX40 I'm now seeing that people's faces are looking over-exposed on too many occasions, even when there is very little if any bright sunlight.

I haven't yet tried experimenting with in-camera Exposure Compensation, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Skin Tone, etc. and that is I guess the obvious next step. However, I didn't need to adjust these settings in my S2 IS and frankly I would expect to be getting better results from the SX40 with the default settings. Nor do I want to have to resort to post-processing on a routine basis. I'm quite happy to do this on occasions, but I don't feel that with a camera of this calibre it should be necessary to PP maybe as many as 60% of the photos I take.

I have attached a photo showing blown highlights. Any hints, tips, brickbats will be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow