Ricoh GXR Mount Sony Nex 5N comparison

Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
Eric Glam
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh GXR Mount Sony Nex 5N comparison Day 2
In reply to jvvw, Oct 30, 2011

jvvw,

Did you remember to turn-off the SteadyShot Image Stabilization in the Sony NEX-5N?
Sony recommends turning it off when using a tripod.

Yes, I know the body doesn't have IS, only the OSS E-mount lenses have it, but I think you should turn it off anyway.

Regarding the Front Curtain Shutter (quote from NEX-5N manual):

The electronic front curtain shutter function shortens the time lag between shutter
releases.

When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this item to [Off].

• When a Minolta/Konica Minolta lens is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this item to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.

[END of QUOTE]

I would also suggest shooting the NEX-5N with the following settings:
Shooting mode: Manual
Creative Style: Portrait
Autofocus area: not sure it has any effect on a manual-focus lens.
Autofocus mode: not sure it has any effect on a manual-focus lens.
DRO/Auto HDR: Off
Contrast: -2, Saturation: 0, Sharpness: -2

As you shoot your photos in RAW, you should also specify what parameters you used in ACR and at what quality you saved the cropped JPEG that you're showing here in your posts. I suggest you always save the 100% crop at quality 12 (don't use the Save for web dialog). Try to keep the EXIF info intact.

As a general rule, when you post comparison shots - you must specify all of these parameters as they affect the appearance and overall quality of the photo.

It also helps avoid u-necessary questions later on, and adds credibility to the comparison.

Eric Glam's gear list:Eric Glam's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D5300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow