Film setting modes

Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
RobBurke
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Film setting modes
In reply to Jay A, Oct 30, 2011

Jay A wrote:

I have always been under the impression that Velvia has the most contrast and saturation, Astia the least, and Provia was somewhere in between. However, it almost looks to me as if the Provia and Astia have been flip flopped.

A lot of people have thought this too. From the Fuji web site http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story/image it looks as if their intention was more complex than just a variation in overall contrast and saturation.

I've found that on cloudy days, Astia with colour balance on cloudy is too saturated for me. Perhaps it might be more helpful to think of Provia as neutral, and Astia as a more nuanced interpretation that may or may not work depending on lighting conditions?

There's a general point that I don't really understand. With the primary colours, increasing saturation implies reducing the levels of the other two colours, and hence reducing brightness. Does that mean that in some scenes contrast and saturation are in conflict, and a film mode can't always increase both at the same time?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow