Which would you recommend for my trip: nex 5n w/ 18-55 or canon S95?

Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
photogazer
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: Thank you!
In reply to Lucien, Oct 30, 2011

Lucien,

Thanks for the info. I expect the softness to be similar on the S95 though, except for the center part of the image which seems sharper on the nex. What I am mainly paying for is the increased DR and less fringing on the nex I suppose.

When I have more money to spare I'd like to invest in a good MF lens for landscapes. I think wide-angle landscapes is the type of photography where one could afford to lose the AF.

Yes, if only the nex has more e-mount lenses it'd be hands-down the best system on the market!

Lucien wrote:

Note though you need to stop down to F8 so you will need bright conditions and even then there's still some slight softness (but in that case only visible at pixel level and comparable). But you can find more comparisons on imaging-resource.com and dcresource to double-check. I noticed that most of these pictures are at F8.

For me the kit lens is a turn-off since quality difference becomes smaller and you do pay bit more for this. For me this would be perfect camera if it just had a better kit lens and there aren't too many lenses available yet.

For $99 you can get the 16mm (=24mm) lens and I found that as compact as the G9. That lens has no zoom but was slightly better with resolution dropoff. It's also 1 stop faster.

-- hide signature --

Proud owner of Canon S30, S45, A710, Fuji F31fd

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow