ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
E-PM1 or E-PL2?
Oct 29, 2011

Hello,

I'm finally ready to give m4/3 a go (looks like prices have stabilized, and I need a camera now). I'd like to stick with Olympus on account of the in-camera stabilization. Both the E-PM1 and E-PL2 are about the same price. I've also seen some ridiculously cheap E-PL1 and E-P2 deals, but I can't stand the ergonomics of the E-PL1, and I hear the E-P2 AF is much slower than the newer models.

From what I can tell, the E-PL2:
-has ISO 100 (so less noise)
-has a better grip and more controls
-has a better LCD (4:3 not 16:9)

Whereas the E-PM1
-is smaller
-has faster AF
-is less plasticky

Have I missed anything? How much faster is the AF really on the E-PM1 vs. the E-PL2?

There're some great E-PL2 deals right now (camera + VF3 + 40-150 for $650), but for significantly faster AF, I'd be willing to go for the newer model.

Thanks,

~Dave

P.S. Also, I realize that neither will work great with the adapter and my Olympus 12-60, but I'm curious if there'd be much of a difference between the 2 models.

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow