IBIS Issues Related To E-P3, E-PL3, And E-PM1...

Started Sep 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508
Like?
Re: IBIS Issues Related To E-P3, E-PL3, And E-PM1...
In reply to bryanbrun, Oct 29, 2011

bryanbrun wrote:

nboyer wrote:

Please share your experience. -Norm

Here are the results of my very unscientific test. Really just curious myself to see what would happen. I repeated the test 4 times with nearly identical results. I will repeat it at varying shutter speeds. I was using a Oly 40-150 at 70mm on an E-PL1 (sorry I don't have the E-PM1).

You can see that IBIS allows shots at the extreme low hand held speed of 1/4 of a second that are not possible without it. Alternately, I ran one set of tests at 1/80 that showed a pretty dramatic improvement with IBIS turned off. I'll repeat that a number of times to see what turns up. And yes there is nothing startling here that no one has seen before.

This test mirrors what I see in the real world: you should take a sequence of IBIS shots and at least 1 of 3 will be significantly better than the others. But without IBIS you can't even approach the same results.

What happens when you are shooting at the long end with that lens? 1/80 of a sec is not considered a safe hand-held shutter speed if you are shooting at 80mm or 150mm, but if IBIS sucks at 1/80, then what do you do?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow