Started Oct 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SF Photo Gal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,091Gear list
Like?
Nikon Freak Buys a GF3
Oct 28, 2011

All my pro photog friends either own Canon or Nikon (60/40). While I professionally shoot with Canon, when I first showed up with my Panny GH1, I can't tell you how much kidding I took. Mostly they wanted to know if if made espresso too.

The other day, my hard core Nikon friend and I had lunch and she said, "I have something to show you." Out of her purse came a white GF3 with the 14mm lens. She said, "I LOVE this camera."

Later that day she showed me some amazing "street" photos she had taken and printed in B&W on a Canon 9500 MKII at 13X19 on Canon Pro Platinum paper!. They were absolutely stunning.

(For those of you not familiar with the Canon 9500, it has 12 ink cartridges, two of which are blacks plus a gray and Pro Platinum is their best paper, and yeah it's expensive.)

What she loved about the camera was that she could pull it out and start shooting and nobody pays attention.

Of course we're not saying the GF3 is as good as a D3, but it is capable to taking amazing photos given its size and portability. (She's borrowed my 20 and 45 for the weekend.)

A final comment: when you view an image printed by a good printer on quality paper, the viewing experience is much different than on a computer monitor. You just don't see all those little imperfection you see when you enlarge and crop on a computer. I guess it's like the difference between reading something on a Kindle and a well made hard cover book.

SF Photo Gal
Canon 1DsIII & 5DII/Panasonic GH1-GF1-LX3

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow