Started Oct 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alanlinde
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
Circular sensor
Oct 28, 2011

In a recent thread about what FF shooters would like to see in the next A9x(x) model Kreikira posted the following:

........................................................................................................
Full circular files including all data up to the edge of the image circle.

Personally, I want to frame my images in the studio, after capturing the data. I don't think of my camera as a framing device -- I think of it as a data recording device.

My lenses are very expensive, and gather light in a circle. Why -- now that our recording media no longer comes in {or makes sense to come in} strips -- do we still record data as though the data needs to be cut from a strip of recording material?

Every exposure we make throws away 40% of the data gathered by our lenses.

Of course a camera set up to record all the data the lens gathers should have some standard frame lines superimposed in the viewfinder.

I see no reason for photographers to compose pictures to fit any standard aspect ratio. The composition should determine the aspect ratio, not vice versa.

Kirby.

.........................................................................................................
He also posted the same idea 10 months ago in a thread on Vertical Grips

I suspect this idea has occurred to others as well as to me. To capture the full image provided by the lens would require 1.7 times the pixel count of a regular frame for the same density sensor. In addition to the points Kirby brings up is the advantage of never having to rotate the camera body (a real pain with a ball head). And then one can crop to any aspect at any angle without cutting unnecessarily into the captured area as is the case for a rectangular image. Or what's wrong with a large circular image?

Wouldn't this open up new creative opportunities? Why are we stuck with a fossil limitation? I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this.

cheers ... alan

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow