ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevelatinner
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
D300 question
Oct 28, 2011

Hello,

I am a Canon user thinking of changing to Nikon.

I am used to setting Quality in the menu, and WB/ISO using small buttons in conjunction with the top LCD.

I think this is a very good system and have had no problems with it. My question is, why does the D300 (and other Nikons) have three large buttons on top of a dial, each for WB, ISO and QUALITY.

Despite the fact it makes little sense to me, I think it would be annoying to use. For starters, I almost NEVER change quality. It is always Fine JPG + RAW. So what's the point in having a large, prominent, dedicated button for this? I would never use it and looking at it would annoy me. Secondly, if shooting during the day WB and ISO do not get changed often either.

I would much prefer a mode dial, ala the D7000. However it seems the better Nikon cameras, D300 and D700 both suffer from this silly design. Unlike this, the Canon actually makes sense and feels natural to use.

Of course I am interested in Nikon for a variety of reasons which I feel are better than Canon, but I'd like someone to explain the logic of this dial so it at least makes sense and hopefully won't be such a pet peeve to me.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow