Steve Huff high ISO test - 5n vs 7...

Started Oct 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,972
Like?
Re: Big difference at ISO1600 even resized
In reply to Dennis, Oct 28, 2011

Dennis wrote:

Maybe I'll have to download a few raw file samples. I'm not used to looking at raw files with no NR at all; LR has color NR set to a default value (25 I think) that pretty well eliminates color noise from my A700 shots. I've set it to zero to see what they look like and high ISO files are pretty splotchy. It's hard to judge how these files will differ with the color noise removed.

Hmmm .. so I did just that, downloaded ISO 50, 1600 & 3200 raw files from imaging-resource (for the A77 !) and played with them in LR. On the ISO 1600 image, the default color NR value of 25 is overkill, some lower number gets rid of the splotches. A modest amount of luminance NR (10) makes it look better (not gone; I'd rather a little luminance noise than loss of texture) at 100% (though I'm sure it would print fine without it). And a value of 20 is good for letting me set sharpening to 80 for a file that looks great - really good at 1:2 and fine at 100%. At ISO 3200, I preferred sharpening down at 60, but still got excellent looking results. So whether the 16MP sensor is better or not, whether the NEX-7 is prone to moire or not, I don't know but the A77 appears to be capable of delivering better results at high ISO than my A700 despite the light loss. That bodes pretty well for the NEX-7 I think.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow