50D vs 7D - detail at ISO 400

Started Oct 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
NovemberSun
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
Re: Regarding my experience with sigma
In reply to NovemberSun, Oct 28, 2011

OOPS! must have hit the back button.

I meant to write that my experience with sigma lenses has been somewhat disappointing. I could see how people were responding to his images with statements like "appears soft" or "unsharp". the lenses appeared 'softer' than the canon counterpart when i would rent them or try them out. I recently purchased the 100-300 f4 DG version that has remarkable reviews. in the end my old canon 200mm 2.8 mk I version (circa 1991) did much better with a cheap kenko 1.4x pro 300 teleconverter. I initially tried the non DG variant and was dismayed at how "unsharp" it was compared to other lenses i have used. Now i know that comparing it to the likes of a canon 400mm 5.6 isnt truly fair but lets be honest. the canon is an older design, a longer focal length and the two lenses were equally recommended from the various review sites. photozone.de for instance. Im not saying that sigma is inherently bad, its just that my personal experience has been lack-luster With that said i promptly returned the Sigma 100-300.

I have seen plenty of great photos posted on these forums from members shooting with sigma lenses. that is initially what lead me to try the mid/high end sigma lenses including the 70-200 zooms.

Disclaimer. i am aware that there are several issues sometimes with sigma lenses on canon bodies. i.e. front focusing issues. I experiemented with the sigmas on a canon 1dII and a 50D with micro AF adjustments. Im not trying to start an argument or add fuel to a debate between thrid party manufacturers but with my experience I prefer Canon, Tokina, Tamron (once they get their 70-200 with a decent AF system it will be great!), and Sigma in that order.
--

Cheers. Cheers to what we possess within ourselves. Cheers to the possibilities of this day.

NovemberSun's gear list:NovemberSun's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow