Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bmadau
Contributing MemberPosts: 577
Like?
F58am overheating
Oct 27, 2011

I shot my first event with the F58am and had the stupid thing overheat on me two or three times. I bought the F58 to replace my old, malfunctioning F56. I have shot the same event several times with the F56 in the past and it NEVER failed to fire, except of course if I exceeded its recycle rate. After the first overheat I slowed down my rate of fire, but it still managed to overheat again. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated. Good thing it isn't a paying job (I donate my time for this one).

I've read through a few old posts on this subject, but I call BS on all the justifications for the flash quitting like it does. Seriously- I can't comprehend how Sony put out a flash that overheats so easily? If I were a wedding photographer, I could only imagine the horror I would have felt if my flash quit on me unexpectedly. That's a big freakin' deal...

What point is there to add on a battery pack to speed up the flash recycle times if it's just going to overheat faster?

Now I don't know what to do... That event will come up again in a few months and I have to figure out a new way to handle it. I could hunt down a new f56 or maybe get a 28-75 f2.8 lens (need one of those anyway). It'd cut down on the power needed from the flash, or maybe I could just shoot w/o the flash then... I dunno...

BM

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow