Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,676Gear list
Like?
A580 does Quebec City (lots of imgs)
Oct 27, 2011

Finally got through all my trip photos from vacation the past few weeks, and can start sharing some of the shots of Canada and New England taken with the new A580. As usual, a trial-by-fire - just as with my A550, I bought this camera just a week or two from a long trip, so my first real use of the camera was while traveling. The good news is that it was a shining success and completely natural to adapt to coming from an A550 - it felt like I'd been shooting with it for years.

I tried to shoot a little of everything, and it was a 2 week trip with thousands of photos to sort through - I can't summarize the whole cruise in one thread, so I figured I'd start with the first 'port' - Quebec, which I flew into to board the ship and got to spend an extra day there. With gorgeous weather, beginnings of fall colors, and both night and day shooting in this beautiful city, I took tons of shots here.

The basics of the A580 setup were: JPG mode, Vivid mode, Saturation -1, Contrast 0, Sharpness +1, NR weak, DRO Auto (except when using HDR), EV -.3 most of the time, no post processing or NR - all are straight from camera, resized for posting. Night shots were taken with a tripod, and lenses were the Tamron 10-24mm UWA for the in-town shots, and Sony 18-250mm for the shots of town taken from the ship. Here we go!

The famous Chateau Frontenac, taken from the Terrasse Duffererin:

Looking down the Terrasse towards the Frontenac:

Church statue and moon sky:

Notre Dame des Victoires:

Street in Petit Champlain district:

St. Andrews church in the old town, backlit by sun and framed by fall colors:

Fall color:

The smaller yellowish building on the left is the Hotel Clarendon, where I stayed before getting on the ship...the taller buidling is Edifice Price, the tallest building in Quebec:

Playing with EXTREME HDR in camera - this shooting right into the sun with the building in shadow required the full 6 manually set:

Beautiful fall scenery in little villages upriver from Quebec:

Extremely low light and heavy zoom - this little pastoral church and farmland were very dark as the sun was dropping behind the Laurentian mountains, so I needed ISO1600 with the 18-250mm lens to get this shot:

Really cool sun streaking as the sun dropped below the horizon, looking back on the St. Lawrence river:

Comments, questions, critique always welcome. These were the first 2 days of my 14 day trip, including the first day on the ship. The scenery up that way is gorgeous! Lots more to share at the other stops along the way.

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow