50mm 1.8g lens too tight in small spaces on DX camera.

Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J513
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
50mm 1.8g lens too tight in small spaces on DX camera.
Oct 27, 2011

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum!

I have recently dived into the world of dSLR photography and bought the d3100 with the 18-55 VR kit lens, used it for a few months and loving it!

I mainly do behind the scenes photography of models at fashion shows where there are tight spaces with low lighting.

I thought to upgrade my 18-55 lens with the 50mm 1.8G lens after reading great reviews on it and how it has the internal focusing and is an FX lens, so if I ever choose to upgrade to an FX camera I can still use the lens.

I am loving the quality of the photos I am taking with this new lens, however I do find it very tight to get the full head in the frame! Often I do not have enough room to stand back to take photos. I end up switching back to my zoom kit lens because it is much more versatile.

Doing more research I realized that the DX camera has a 1.5x crop factor, so my 50mm lens is more of a 75mm lens.

I cannot return the 50mm lens to the store (Aden Camera in Toronto) because they have a no return policy

My question is should I sell my 50mm 1.8G lens and get the 35mm 1.8G? are these 2 lenses the same quality just with a different crop factor?

Also I have been looking at the 40mm 2.8 micro lens, is this lens good for portraits as well?

Or how about selling both my lenses and getting something like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (there are 2 options on the website but not sure which one is best)

Also, where is a good place to sell lens? craigslist? I have a Henry's near me but I don't think they would give a very good price.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

(I had to stand back a bit to get this shot but its often not possible.)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow