Started Oct 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
My new site for Pentax videos & stills
Oct 26, 2011

I stopped putting it off. I got tired of arty-farty types putting me down because I had xxxxx.smugmug.com site -- I've still got a smugmug site, but with a new look and its own custom domain

http://www.pileofprints.com/

I kept the site's design simple because on Smugmug anything more complex has to be framed with hand-coded Cascading Style Sheets. But, as you can see I chose a theme -- pile of prints -- that I could brand by presenting my photographs like this:

Stills- the way we were meant to make movies. Consider taking a look at this beautiful and controversial remake of a 3 minute film I made using Photo to Movie, stills and history. It is very pleasing to me that the videos are so clear and youtube-ad free. You can go much larger - and my films default to 640x480, but can be viewed at 800 x 600 is you click Mid-Def above them.

Now that my new site is up I will begin working on a film about my street photography in Istanbul with Limited lenses. Currently there are just two films up on my site. The other one is "A Pile of Prints, or Color, what's it good for?"

This a 1 minute overview of my trips around the world with each image changing before your eyes from color to black & white before it is flipped off the pile. It was made using Apple's Keynote which is only $20 now at the Apple Store and well worth a look for Mac users. It is the same program Steve Jobs used for all his keynotes -- but it also outputs to Quicktime, so you can make movies with it.

In the books section now there is the full contents of a marvelous book about the difficulties of photographing India (with a Pentax K100d, the DA 21 & DA 40)

Above are some images from a series called "Temple Trees" shot in and near Cambodia's Angkor Wat in that I am using to experiment with creating PDFs to publish my work. That will be a free download from the books section of pileofprints.com in the future.

There are many photo essays on the site -- some provocative, others merely captivating. In keeping with the tradition of participatory photojournalism suggested by the pile of prints above there is that new photo essay about Occupy Portland that I recently posted highlights from here.

I'm working now at getting some of my older pre-digital photographs taken with a wooden Deardorff camera up. I expect them to be in the photo essay section tonight.

Stop by and take a look at

http://www.pileofprints.com/

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow