Started Oct 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew
Contributing MemberPosts: 778Gear list
Like?
Dell to Apple...maybe
Oct 26, 2011

I've been using a Dell Lattiude notebook for many years. I replace the unit every three years as I've read and been told that a three year cycle is pretty safe in terms of keeping hardware up to date and to maintain reliability. But I have an opportunity to buy an Apple Macbook Pro and I'm looking into the pros and cons of the switch.

I'd be moving from a Lattitude 6400 to a Macbook Pro 15 inch and probably a solid state drive. I have two issues though. First is the lack of a USB 3 port Yes I know all the pluses of the Thunderbolt interface but all my other notebooks, desktops and backup drives run either USB 2 or USB 3. This is the lesser of the two problems and one I can probably live with.

The bigger issue is the inability to run dual displays on the Apple. Not only can't I run dual displays but with an external monitor attached I can't use the notebook display and external display independently..it's one or the other. This is a big issue for me as I prefer to do my text work on one monitor and my photography work on the other..which my Dell, which is half the price...allows via a dock.

So...just wondering if anyone has worked around this problem or has suggestions that don't involve additional devices and cables. I guess one option is to get a 27" external display and put multiple screens on that single display but I'd much prefer 2, 24 inch displays side by side.

And yes, the Apple 15 inch anti-glare screen is really, really nice. As is the 17 inch but I think the 17 is just too heavy to lug around.

Thanks for your toughts and suggestions--
Sony F505(retired), Sony F707(gave to son), Sony
F717(gave to wife) Sony S85(great little camera that
was stolen), Sony CD 1000 (ancient but a great lens),
Sony H9(retired) Panasonic LX3 that became an LX5 (small
enough to go everywhere), Nikon D5000 that grew into a D7000, Sony HX1

Andrew's gear list:Andrew's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow