Started Oct 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,227Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a 27" - 30" monitor IPS with 2560 res
In reply to NewsyL, Oct 26, 2011

NewsyL wrote:

Ben_Egbert wrote:

Why the caution on wide gamut? I have a NEC26090WUXi and love it.

Because I want the OP to ask about it or acknowledge that that the OP has a full and complete working knowledge of color management as it relates to using a wide gamut monitor.

Most people have not a clue why their desktop is overly vibrant with their wide gamut monitors - "it's a little too red, I'm returning it" is one quote I recall from some time ago.

Ok, gotcha. There are other issues that I percieve. sRGB looks awful compared to a Prophoto image on a well calibrated monitor but I am not sure what sRGB users see when they look at one of my images that has been converted to sRGB. I only know it looks worse after the sRGB conversion. One of the biggest issues with monitor cal is the lack of a brightness standard.

Anyway, the point is that if you work in a a higher color space it will never look better once sent to the WEB to be viewed at 1/4 or less of the native resolution and fewer colors.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

When you can't focus, nothing else matters
Once you can, everything else does.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow