Started Oct 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,281Gear list
Like?
Paul Buff PLM system vs softboxes
Oct 26, 2011

I know this has been discused before but after my first experience using a 64" white PLM I am starting to think I can sell the 72x54 softbox I just purchased. I have used the large softbox in my garage studio but it takes up a lot of space and is not easy to set up and tear down. The PLM system is very easy.

I did my first location shoot using the white PLM, using it as a bounce umbrella, and was very pleased with the results, very soft light even without using the front diffuser. I may post a couple of shots even though they are only ok in my view. In the past I have used a Qflash system for outdoors and using the umbrella and PB smaller Vagabond battery was doable with out any assistant. It seems like it covered a family of five fairly nicely. Probably for in my studio I may want the 84" PLM.

So not sure why a softbox would be better, and if there is any difference I now wonder how noticable would the difference be.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow