Started Oct 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,140Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting discouraged by other sports photogs
In reply to signal writer, Oct 26, 2011

signal writer wrote:

linzdoctor7d wrote:

Sorry Tokina no longer makes it. I was going to buy a used Minolta 300mm G before the Tokina came up for sale. Keh does have them from time to around 2000.00 to 2500.00 (Minolta) and it does focus faster than my lens.

signal writer wrote:

Not bad.

Based on the speed you're getting, i'd say your conditions were a bit worse than the lighting in the dome, so that's encouraging.

I still can't find where to buy this tokina 300 lens at.
If the forum rules won't allow you to post, then please send me a message.

I see. So I'll have to keep my eyes out for a used to pop up then...

Luckily for me though, I live in Atlanta, so I can drive to KEH and inspect any lens I want to buy before purchasing, as I've done in the past.

But 2000 + and wanting to get the a77 seems a bit cost prohibitive, but I guess its 500 or so more than what I was originally planning in getting the 70-400, which in the scheme of things, isn't a whole lot for photog gear.
Sigh.

It is a whole lot, but you're asking for a special purpose case. In the daylight, I'd say you probably could get away with higher ISO as someone else mentioned. At night, I'm not sure. But with the newer cameras giving better high-ISO response, I say it's worth trying a less expensive lens, depending on what you want to do. If you're not going to be too far away from action, and it's dark like indoor basketball, you can't have big enough glass. But outdoors in the day, you might have enough light for even f5.6, and increasing the ISO a bit might be fine, if needed. My need for long lenses was mostly for airshows -- I've had good results, but my trouble is manual focusing, not the small aperture.

I think if you have lesser equipment you sometimes can get good results, but have to work a bit harder with it and accept the occasional compromise.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow