300,000 Sold. 1/10th of 1% reported defective?

Started Oct 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charlesn
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
300,000 Sold. 1/10th of 1% reported defective?
Oct 26, 2011

According to Thom Hogan, who tracks such numbers within the industry and oughta know, Fuji sold 300,000 x100s as of about a month ago. Now, if I add up all the reports I've seen on various sites of owners actually reporting sticky blade issues, there are maybe... MAYBE... 300. (I"m being super generous with that number--I think an actual count would be signifcantly lower.) Of course, in the echo chamber of message boards, each report is amplified by endless posts from people who don't have the problem, are afraid of getting the problem, think but aren't sure that they might have the problem, won't buy the camera because of the problem... plus the trolls who don't even own the camera. For those who have sticky blades, it's a real problem and it sucks, but it would seem limited to a fraction of one percent of the units sold so far. Again, it's a pain for those who have to return their cameras for repair, but hardly rises to Def Con 5, Recall The Whole Production Run panic going on here. AND, by the way, what new camera DOESN'T have a problem on the message boards when it's released? My Nikon D3s was similarly flailed here when it was released (I can't even remember what that "recall all the cameras" crisis was about)--but it simply faded out over time and the D3s became a legit contender for best DSLR.

Interestingly... and please jump in with an example if I'm wrong... I haven't read any professional review of the X100 in which sticky blades or overexposures have been a problem. And some reviewers have given the camera a lengthy and rigorous workout. This issue seems limited to the message boards.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow