Mac vs. PC

Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
pcomonarch
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac vs. PC
In reply to andreame, Oct 26, 2011

These questions come up often. The collective answer is yes. It's difficult to answer which is better because it really is a subjective matter. Both camps will quote numbers and specs and all kinds of garbage that really means nothing to most users--not that those things don't matter, just probably not to you. I'll just give you my story, make of it what you will. I have no financial interest to disclose.

I would consider myself a mid-level techie and feel that I have had plenty of experience with both systems (still use both, still BUILD both). Mac has become my main system as of about 5 years ago. I feel it is more stable, easier, and more powerful for what I do. I use iMacs in my medical practice (PC based EHR programs are a nightmare-but you don't care about that) and at home my workhorse is a 3.06 GHz, 8 Gb DDR3 RAM, 2TB HD 21" iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.1 and Windows 7, calibrated with Spyder 3 (monitor calibration is extremely important). I use PS and Lightroom, Aperture, Logic Pro Studio, and Final Cut Pro without any problems. That computer is more than two years old and I've had it crash once (first boot up after installing Lion). But I have 2 MacBooks and a 17" MacBook Pro that are 5 years old that still run like the day I got them (technology has moved on, but they all run just as quickly as day one).

I definitely cannot say that about my stock Sony and HP notebooks that have needed new batteries (expected), optical drives, and the screen on the Sony failed within the first few months (this is why I bought my first 13" MacBook). Maybe that's the luck of the draw, and after all it's not Microsoft's fault this stuff happens. But I have yet to own a Windows system that I have fully enjoyed, trouble free. Others have--I am sure. I have not.

So as expressed previously this is a subjective topic. My advice is to try them both. And remember if you end up with an Apple computer you can always have someone install Windows and go from there. There's no guarantee you'll love it, but it will do whatever you need it to do.

pcomonarch's gear list:pcomonarch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow