Dilemma over 18-200 vs current gear

Started Oct 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mako109
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Dilemma over 18-200 vs current gear
In reply to rhit, Oct 25, 2011

I have all three, plus pro zooms and some pro primes. I put a premium on picture quality over convenience as I sometimes shoot for hire, but sometimes I need to use the consumer lenses for travel or backpacking in the mountains.

After 2.5 years, I've rarely used the 18-200 and it still looks and smells brand new. It's a good all around convenient travel lens and I agree with Happypopeye about it have similar IQ. It's hard to argue with happypopeye and the quality images he can produce. However I much prefer the 16-85/70-300 combo; perhaps it's a confidence thing with me. Travelled all over China and Canada with that combo. In China, I used the 70-300 only once in the two months I was there. In Canada, I used the 70-300 a bit more but to capture shots of eagles and other wildlife. The 16-85 was still the main lens that lived on my camera. I've kept the 18-200 around thinking someday I might have a situation restricting me to one lens. I must admit I also held on to it because of what I've seen happypopeye produce with it. But in past 2.5 years I haven't had a compelling reason to use it. So the plan is (has been for a while) to trade the lens in to help offset the cost of the new D800...whenever that happens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow