Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,241Gear list
Like?
Insane polar light - A77 with Zeiss 24 mm f:2
Oct 25, 2011

Last night when I took my Pleiades test photos, posted in another tread, there was a dull glow from some polar light in the northern part of the sky. Later the polar light wake up and gave the most beautiful show you could imagine! Most of the sky was covered with bright green, yellow and red light rays, which formed crowns again and again straight above my head! I have seen brighter polar light, but never as beautiful as last night. I am really happy to share these with you!

A77, Zeiss 24 mm f:2 wide open, ISO 800, 4 to 8 second exposure. Live view and loupe for critical focus. Color temperature about 4200 K for most images:

A green crown round midnight, when green color dominated:

Orion rises (south east):

Orion almost an hour later. Higher color temperature, about 5000 K, brings out the yellow color:

A colorful crown later in the night. You can see the Pleiades (Seven Sisters) low in the field:

Extraordinary red polar light. You can find the constellation of Gemini a little bit to the left:

Wery bright red and green polar light. The Pleiades at upper left. The bright 'star' low to the left is Jupiter:

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow