Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FrancoisduP
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Macro lens advice
Oct 25, 2011

After a lengthy Bag Buying addiction period...which successfully ended in me buying the Billingham Hadley small I am at the next crossroad...and that is to buy another lens for my arsenal.

This time I can luckily blame it on my wife Her pocket camera broke, and over time she actually started using my K-r as replacement. Now, instead of buying a new small camera, she seems actually keen on rather expanding the lens selection we have to accomodate what she misses from my lens selection. Which is, a macro lens.

Having the 21, 40 and 70 (with 16-45 as my zoom lens for snappy occasions) I am rather keen on the DA 35mm LTD. It seems quite ideal in terms of focal length so that my wife can take some macro shots and use it as a "normal" lens as well...without the need to swap lenses. Of course...I would also be happy with such a lens...except for the fact that its pretty close to the 40mm. Its probably my most used lens....and I fear that the 35mm might replace it in some way. Although focus speed might still keep me using the 40mm.

Alternatively, I identified the 50mm Sigma macro, which here in Germany is around 150 euro cheaper (260 vs 420) compared to the Pentax 35mm. And for a similar price to the Pentax there is also the 105mm Sigma....big...and probably intimidating. But, a focal length that would also fill my current setup well (bringing in a 100 mm prime).

Any of you have maybe some experiences with the 35mm Pentax fitting in to the 21, 40 and 70 set? Or is it best to go to the 105mm? I know the advantages of increasing the focal length for a macro in terms of working distance, but at the moment its of course not easy to predict what my wife (and me as well) would take pictures of as time progresses . For now she expressed interest in flowers and our baby boy (hands, feet, etc).

Thanks in advance for some small user reports on the 35 or 105!

Francois

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow