The Ultra Compact FX kit

Started Oct 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
dezinerd
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?
Re: my Ultra Compact FX kit
In reply to Bobby Handal, Oct 25, 2011

Good topic but some what an oxymoron as the d700 has some heft to it.

The wide end is hard to fill. I have tryed the Sigma 20-40 2.8 and the Nikkor 16-35 which is too huge to even be mentioned in the context of compact. I have and use the Nikkor 28 3.5 AI but just want a wider lens that close focuses. My Sigma 24-60 2.8 is a really compact close focusing lens. A most reliable and compact lens is the Nikkor 28-105 which as is true of most kit lens, does not get the credit it deserves

I have used the Nikkor 50-135 AIS 3.5 but it is sort of heavy due to its pro quality build, The 70-150 E was a little to long at the short but had great image quality and then I got the 70-300 vr afs which is also to long at the short end but really has great image quality. My fave that ends up going everywhere I go is the 60 G micro. and it is compact. A really fun lens is my Vivatar 70-210 2.8-4 variable aperature. It close focuses and does a great job but it is sort of a heavyweight but not compared to my Nikkor 75-300 which is a big all metal lens. I guess the 70-300 afs vr is lighter in weight than either but has vr and might be better optically. So compact might include the 70-300 afs vr. Kiron who some people believe made the E series 70-150 also made a 70-150 f4 lens under their own brand. The copy that I have has no zoom creep but does not seem to be as sharp as my Nikon E. This is just anecdotal nothing scientific. It is smaller than the Nikon and shows really good build quality.

An obscure option that I have used is the 50-1.8 & 100 2.8 E series and a 28 f2 Kiron. Coupled with a Vivatar 2x macro focusing teleconverter there are many focal lengths avaiable and great magnification and the lens kit is ultra compact. This kit needs something wider than 28 but I have'nt found anything within my budget but it does offer a lot of space to experiment. I should have tryed the Nikkor 28 but was infatuated by the Kiron 28's f2 aperature and the reality of a 2 stop loss of light for the Viviatar converter. It is granted that using a 28 mm lens on a teleconverter seems somewhat lame, but the results were gratifying and this is a focusing macro teleconverter which is different than my Nikkor tc 200.

So for me it is about trying different things out to see what works and what does not. Hope that what I have tryed is helpful.
--
Dennis

dezinerd's gear list:dezinerd's gear list
Samsung NX300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow