Does the iPhone 4S deserve a dpreview full review?

Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Ma
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Does the iPhone 4S deserve a dpreview full review?
Oct 25, 2011

I think it is about time the smartphone cameras get a full review. The cameras on smart phones have come a long way, and the iPhone 4S is a game changer. I realized today that I would never again be buying a P&S camera because the camera on my Galaxy S2 not only has more megapixels, but delivers an overall better image than the flagship Canon P&S I bought 5 years ago. And it will only get better from here.

I think I am not the first or last or last to make this realization. This is the way we're headed. The smartphones will do to the P&S what mp3 players did for the portable cd players. Sure CD's might sound better than mp3's, but can you tell the difference and is it worth the trouble of carrying around another device?

I'm only talking about pictures that P&S cameras can produce. Of course smartphones and even the best P&S can't touch what dSLR's are capable and yes it is absolutely worth carrying a dSLR when you want to shoot in the name of photography. If you disagree, I can only say you've got a long way to go and it is not all about megapixels, per pixel sharpness, and low noise.

I would like to to see dpreview review these devices:

iPhone 4S
Samsung Galaxy S2

They should set the bar of the best available right now. And it can only get better from here.

Michael Ma's gear list:Michael Ma's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow